According to reporting from the Environmental Protection Agency:
- Annually, there’s 262 million tons of municipal solid waste (MSW).
- Textiles represented 16.03M tons and 65.7% of landfills.
- The average American throws out 81 pounds of clothing annually.
According to the same report, the following are benefits of recycling:
- Recycling provides jobs in the U.S. and around the world.
- In the U.S. $36.6 billion in wages was created.
- Recycling produces $6.7 billion in tax revenue in the U.S.
Want to know more?
- According to AT&T, an estimated 100 to 130 million cell phones are no longer being used, many languishing in storage.
- If people were able to reuse those 100 million mobile phones we would save enough energy to power more than 370,000 U.S. homes each year.
- 70% of the global population uses recycled clothing.